7.30.2005

before i enter the palace of wisdom

I have to decide: am I ready to rock?
If by "rock" you mean "pluck clumsily on a classical guitar with no idea what the hell I'm doing," then the answer is: HELL YES.


















A friend of mine convinced me to take classical guitar lessons with her, hence the impulse purchase pictured above. I have two reservations about the lessons. One is that I know absolutely nothing about classical guitar. I can name one classical guitar player (Andres Segovia), but I don't know a single piece of music that he has played. I've always wanted to learn how to play guitar, but that was mainly out of a desire to RAWK in the more conventional sense of the word. But until Jack Black starts offering courses for 20 bucks at Laney Community College, I will have to satisfy myself with RAWKING IT Segovia-style. My second reservation about this is the fact that the friend that I'm planning to take the class with is the most mercurial person that I've ever met. This is what a typical conversation with her is like:

Me: H--, want to go to lunch?
H: Yes! Give me five minutes.
[five minutes later]
Me: Ready for lunch?
H: [looks at me as though I am crazy] Lunch? I don't have time for lunch! [goes back to IMing friends in China]

In most situations, it's fairly safe to assume that she will end up doing the opposite of whatever she tells you she's going to do, which is why I'm a bit skeptical of this endeavor. But we'll see.

I asked my mother to send me some sleeping pills for my 13-hour nonstop flight to Auckland in two weeks. (That's right, nonexistent bitches, I'm going to Oceania!) I can't really pinpoint why, but the drug baggie she sent me made me laugh.

2 Comments:

Blogger maisnon said...

The company I used to work for let me interview potential employees (HA! misTAKE!) And I used to ask "So, do you rock?" The idea was to gauge personality - if they laughed, or answered in the affirmative, it's all good. If they were agog, or worse, looked offended - it'd never work out.

Have fun in Kiwi-land!!

7/30/2005 6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome. What do you think the ratio of rocking to non-rocking job candidates was?

7/31/2005 10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home