4.24.2005

anal hygiene

Lately the universe has been prompting me to think about bathroom hygiene. First I came across this article in Wired about the toilet of the future. "An adjustable targeted spray plus a warm-air dryer means the end of toilet paper," Wired tells us.

Then I came across this blog post about the lotah, "a water container that South Asians use to wash their bits after going to the bathroom." The post contains a picture of a lotah that is a lot classier-looking than the bowls my family used to use in Sri Lanka:
Example

My family used to use plastic tubs that looked more like these, but smaller:

Example


But the last time I went to visit a couple years ago, I learned that there had been new advances in ass-cleansing technology. My aunt had moved into a new house, and the bathroom came equipped with a spray attachment like the ones sometimes found on kitchen sinks:

Example


Very handy! The first time my parents came to visit me in my first apartment, they were somewhat disturbed to learn that I had not yet purchased an appropriate water container. Normally when they go on vacation, they bring a Rubbermaid cereal bowl with them for such purposes, but I guess they had expected a higher level of bathroom accessorizing from their own flesh and blood. At their first opportunity, they went to Ross to look for a suitable container. This was the best that they could come up with:

Example

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home