hanif kureishi scene: a public service announcement
I had heard of this Cornershop song a while ago, and I would look for it sometimes online when I thought of it. All I knew about it was that the refrain went, "Your life is so pristine; mine's like a Hanif Kureishi scene." Sounds good, right? Today I noticed that the song was on iTunes, so I listened to the 30-second snippet to figure out if I wanted to buy it. The snippet was basically a bunch of sitar and guitar noodling with someone speaking in the background. I figured that maybe it was one of those songs that takes a little while to get started, so I ended up buying it, hoping that the snippet wasn't representative.
It is quite possibly the worst song I've ever heard. I know for sure that it is the worst song that I've heard in recent memory, and that includes the ballroom dance version of "Toxic" that I heard this evening on "Dancing With The Stars" and that R. Kelly song about hiding in the closet. It pretty much sounds like what you would get if a group of people who were really good at playing air guitar walked into a music store and started jamming. So in that sense I guess maybe it isn't that bad, if you imagine it being the work of people who have never handled actual musical instruments before.
Fortunately, my musical day was redeemed when I downloaded and rediscovered the awesomeness that is Michael Jackson's "Working Day and Night." I don't think I've heard this song since I was six, when I used to watch The Making of Thriller on an endless loop, so now I associate the song in my head with a montage from that movie where Michael Jackson's arms are covered in green makeup and someone shatters a piece of glass over his head. Other things happened in the montage, but that's all I remember. This is slightly off topic, since "Working Day and Night" is actually from Off the Wall, but yesterday I found an old article by Sarah Hepola from The Morning News that pretty much sums up everything that I would ever want to say about Thriller. I think I want to be BFF with Sarah Hepola. Hopefully she and my other friends will get along. Don't worry, you guys are still BFF, too. But hopefully you aren't reading this, since it's supposed to be anonymous.
It is quite possibly the worst song I've ever heard. I know for sure that it is the worst song that I've heard in recent memory, and that includes the ballroom dance version of "Toxic" that I heard this evening on "Dancing With The Stars" and that R. Kelly song about hiding in the closet. It pretty much sounds like what you would get if a group of people who were really good at playing air guitar walked into a music store and started jamming. So in that sense I guess maybe it isn't that bad, if you imagine it being the work of people who have never handled actual musical instruments before.
Fortunately, my musical day was redeemed when I downloaded and rediscovered the awesomeness that is Michael Jackson's "Working Day and Night." I don't think I've heard this song since I was six, when I used to watch The Making of Thriller on an endless loop, so now I associate the song in my head with a montage from that movie where Michael Jackson's arms are covered in green makeup and someone shatters a piece of glass over his head. Other things happened in the montage, but that's all I remember. This is slightly off topic, since "Working Day and Night" is actually from Off the Wall, but yesterday I found an old article by Sarah Hepola from The Morning News that pretty much sums up everything that I would ever want to say about Thriller. I think I want to be BFF with Sarah Hepola. Hopefully she and my other friends will get along. Don't worry, you guys are still BFF, too. But hopefully you aren't reading this, since it's supposed to be anonymous.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home