9.15.2005

getting crazy with the cheez whiz

As Friday draws nearer, so too does the probability of me spending a third weekend in a row behaving like a shut-in. So in a half-assed effort to get myself out of the house a little more often, I figured I would post a list of things I've been wanting to do. These are mostly activities that my real life friends are unlikely to want to participate in, so I thought I would ask random internet strangers if they wanted to join me. In the event that you are interested in doing any of these things, leave me a comment.

1. Dhamaal (Friday, September 16th)
I've never been to Dhamaal, and the two times I've been to 1015 Folsom have sucked, but this seems like it might be fun. However, it's probably pointless for me to put it on this list since:
1. It's tomorrow.
2. I have no way of getting home, because stupid BART stops running at stupid 12:30 and I still haven't gotten around to signing up for City Carshare, despite selling my car nearly a year ago.
But I figured I would put it here in the unlikely event that some non-sketchy person from the East Bay wants to give me a ride to this thing for some reason that I can't really fathom.

2. Salaam Namaste at the Naz 8
This movie looks extremely cheesy and predictable, but I still want to see it, because I inexplicably heart Saif Ali Khan, and because I want to see what a supposedly "modern" Bollywood take on dating and pre-marital sex looks like. Also playing at the Naz is the slightly classier-looking Parineeta, which also stars my beloved Saify.

3. The Found Footage Festival (September 16-17)
Here's a description I found in Wired, which I'm too lazy to summarize.

4. Lost season premiere (Wednesday, September 21)
Now that my TV-watching buddy has left for Boston, I no longer have anyone with whom to eat Tostitos fake cheese product dip while discussing the relative hotness of various actors. If you enjoying eating fake cheese product dip and watching hot people on TV, let me know.

5. Dim Sum
The friend who left for Boston was also my dim sum and shopping buddy. Anyone like dim sum?

6. Happy Shabu Shabu
This is another restaurant I would like to try, mostly because of the name.

7. Concerts
I don't know that I necessarily celebrate the entire catalog of all of these people, but since it's been a while since I last went to a concert, I'm not really that picky, so I figured I'd start with these suggestions:

Asha Bhosle (September 22&23)
M.I.A. (October 5)
Franz Ferdinand (October 6)
American Music Club/Spoon (November 16)

8. Random Foreign Genre Movie Night
These are a couple of random-ass movies that I have been wanting to watch, so I thought, why not combine them into a single theme night (possibly while stoned)?
Hot Summer: 1960s East German beach party musical
La Boum: French '80s teen comedy
Love on a Diet: Hong Kong comedy featuring Andy Lau (of Infernal Affairs fame) in a really bad fat suit

Ok, now that I look like a total loser who is desperate for companionship, I guess I'll just add that any other suggestions for stuff to do are welcome.

7 Comments:

Blogger oodles said...

Since I have decided to watch Lost this season, I'd be up for a premiere party! Of course, there's the problem of you being ALL the way in the East Bay. :)

9/16/2005 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, I think we should have a meetup at Happy Shabu Shabu, as a way to introduce maisnon to the Bay Area blogosphere. What do you think?!?

Also... I think I could be convinced to go see MIA, although it is on a school night, and I can only really claim to liking one of her songs.

9/16/2005 1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oodles,
If you can manage the treacherous journey, there'll be some delicious processed cheese food waiting for you. (You should also feel free to make requests for real food, if that is your thing.)

brimful,
A happy Happy Shabu Shabu shindig sounds good to me. Can we get a maisoui from maisnon?

Re: MIA, I'm probably not the best person to convince you, since I'm not really a fan, either. I just figured maybe I should see what all the fuss is about, being a fellow Lankan and all.

If you want, you guys (and anyone else who wants to join us) can email me at bollyhooATgmailDOTcom to work out the details. Or not; the comment box works, too.

9/16/2005 5:05 PM  
Blogger Beth Loves Bollywood said...

I'll go see Salaam Namaste with you! I think it's coming to my town next month but I am happy not to wait.

9/17/2005 2:33 PM  
Blogger oodles said...

Ads- We'll have to see about Wednesday... It may have to be an early night for me.
Brimful- I agree that a "welcome maisnon" is needed.

9/19/2005 9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay... I'll lead the charge (and will email you, ads, once I've linked up with maisnon).

9/19/2005 1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beth,
Are you visiting the Bay Area? Or are we going to have to invent a supercomputer to make this happen?

oodles,
No problem; let me know if you want to stop by.

brimful,
Thanks for leading the charge! I'm not wedded to Happy Shabu Shabu if you guys would rather go someplace else instead. Is there anyone I should try to get in touch with? Saheli?

9/19/2005 3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home