tag!
I decided to dust off the old Blogger password, since I was tagged by maisnon.
1. One book that changed your life
I was trying to think of a book that profoundly altered my sense of self or whatever, but instead, I'm going to go with The Babysitters Club Super Special #2: Baby-Sitters Summer Vacation, which gave me my handwriting. When I was in the sixth grade, I decided that I needed to abandon my third-grade cursive handwriting for something more sophisticated. (I was probably inspired by the distinctive handwriting styles displayed by the various babysitters in their BSC Notebook, or whatever the hell it was called.) For a few weeks, I tried out Stacey's handwriting, except that I dotted my "i"s with circles instead of hearts, because that would have been too lame, even for me. Then I read BSC SS#2, and fell in love with Logan Bruno's neat, all-caps lettering (and probably also his soft Louisville drawl and sandy-blond curls). The rest is (fascinating, no doubt) history.
2. One book you have read more than once
I don't think I've read and then re-read a book since high school, when I re-read things all the time. Probably the book I re-read most often was Seymour: An Introduction, when I went through my totally cliche teenage-J.D. Salinger-obsession-phase. Seymour: An Introduction is hard to describe; it's sort of a tribute by the fictional writer Buddy Glass to his brother Seymour, who committed suicide. I loved the book when I was in high school but haven't read it since then, mostly because I'm afraid that if I read it now, I'll find it pretentious or somehow lacking, and ruin the memory I have of it. (Though writing about it now is making me want to go back and read it again...)
3. One book you would want on a desert island
I guess that would be a good time to read A La Recherche Du Temps Perdu. (Though this would probably be more useful.)
4. One book that made you cry
You know, I don't think a book or movie has ever really made me cry. (Though once I was at a dinner party at my friend Omar's house, and a bunch of us were watching an episode of Family Matters in the basement. It was the episode where Steve Urkel asks Laura to marry him, and Laura rejects him. Omar totally started tearing up, which made my eyes well up a little, too. So I guess other people crying can set me off, but movies and books, not so much.) Anyway, I think there were some sappy passages in Born Confused involving the father-daughter relationship that got to me a little bit, even though they didn't actually make me cry.
5. One book that made you laugh
Running With Scissors is kind of disturbing and revolting in parts, but it made me laugh.
6. One book you wish had been written
My dissertation.
7. One book you wish had never been written
I don't know, Mein Kampf, maybe?
8. One book you are reading currently
Right now I'm eight pages into Madame Bovary, but I'm probably not going to finish it until I get done with Proust on the desert island.
9. One book you have been meaning to read
There's a lot to choose from, but I'll go with A Suitable Boy.
1. One book that changed your life
I was trying to think of a book that profoundly altered my sense of self or whatever, but instead, I'm going to go with The Babysitters Club Super Special #2: Baby-Sitters Summer Vacation, which gave me my handwriting. When I was in the sixth grade, I decided that I needed to abandon my third-grade cursive handwriting for something more sophisticated. (I was probably inspired by the distinctive handwriting styles displayed by the various babysitters in their BSC Notebook, or whatever the hell it was called.) For a few weeks, I tried out Stacey's handwriting, except that I dotted my "i"s with circles instead of hearts, because that would have been too lame, even for me. Then I read BSC SS#2, and fell in love with Logan Bruno's neat, all-caps lettering (and probably also his soft Louisville drawl and sandy-blond curls). The rest is (fascinating, no doubt) history.
2. One book you have read more than once
I don't think I've read and then re-read a book since high school, when I re-read things all the time. Probably the book I re-read most often was Seymour: An Introduction, when I went through my totally cliche teenage-J.D. Salinger-obsession-phase. Seymour: An Introduction is hard to describe; it's sort of a tribute by the fictional writer Buddy Glass to his brother Seymour, who committed suicide. I loved the book when I was in high school but haven't read it since then, mostly because I'm afraid that if I read it now, I'll find it pretentious or somehow lacking, and ruin the memory I have of it. (Though writing about it now is making me want to go back and read it again...)
3. One book you would want on a desert island
I guess that would be a good time to read A La Recherche Du Temps Perdu. (Though this would probably be more useful.)
4. One book that made you cry
You know, I don't think a book or movie has ever really made me cry. (Though once I was at a dinner party at my friend Omar's house, and a bunch of us were watching an episode of Family Matters in the basement. It was the episode where Steve Urkel asks Laura to marry him, and Laura rejects him. Omar totally started tearing up, which made my eyes well up a little, too. So I guess other people crying can set me off, but movies and books, not so much.) Anyway, I think there were some sappy passages in Born Confused involving the father-daughter relationship that got to me a little bit, even though they didn't actually make me cry.
5. One book that made you laugh
Running With Scissors is kind of disturbing and revolting in parts, but it made me laugh.
6. One book you wish had been written
My dissertation.
7. One book you wish had never been written
I don't know, Mein Kampf, maybe?
8. One book you are reading currently
Right now I'm eight pages into Madame Bovary, but I'm probably not going to finish it until I get done with Proust on the desert island.
9. One book you have been meaning to read
There's a lot to choose from, but I'll go with A Suitable Boy.

3 Comments:
4. I was sniffly in that book too. It's good YA fun.
5. Ditto.
8. I struggled through MB on a trip to France. Maybe not the right setting, but I honestly can't recommend it. You're much better off to read the Woody Allen short story "The Kugelmass Episode."
9. That's on my shelf too! I was going to take it to India but decided it was too heavy. Currently it's slated to go with me to visit my parents next week.
yeah!! you are back!
A book I wish had never been written: "Shiva Dancing," by Bharathi Kirchner.
My god, I couldn't past the 10th page. It was that bad.
Post a Comment
<< Home