2.27.2006

random

Have you ever taken a drink from a glass and somehow completely missed your mouth? That just happened to me five seconds ago. So now I look like I wet my pants. Actually, pouring Sprite all over my pants reminds me of a story (well, not really much of a story). When I was a kid, I never wanted to finish my dinner, which inevitably led to a stand-off with my parents. My mother would usually raise her glass of water and say, "If you don't finish that, I'm going to pour this down your head." One day, I said, "Okay." So she poured a little bit of her water over my head. I think I tried to leave the table, our deal fulfilled, but she argued that she'd only poured a little bit of the water down my head, so no dice. Our stand-off continued, to some forgotten conclusion.

This doesn't really have anything to do with anything, (does anything in my blog have anything to do with anything?) but here's the opening sentence from an application letter I received for an undergraduate research position in my lab:

"Since marriage and children are unofficially predestined outcomes for my family, I'm sure I have cousins popping out of my aunts every nine months."

Yeah, I don't know what else to add to that, apart from: what the fuck?

3 Comments:

Blogger maisnon said...

(1) I think this is another example of desi v. "American" usage. I think I would say "I'll pour water ON your head." I can see that down could work, it just wouldn't be my first choice.

(2) You MUST hire this undergrad - the humor potential is hella-high. (But, yeah - WTF?!?!)

2/28/2006 9:48 AM  
Blogger square peg said...

My mom's threat was always FINISH THAT OR I WILL MAKE YOU TOUCH YOUR TOES. And I look back on my childhood and I can remember instances where she sent me and my brothers to different corners of the room to touch our toes for various lengths of time. So weird, right? Mine's the only desi family I've met so far that does this. Maybe we're especially crazy.

3/02/2006 10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did exactly that the other day and poured Diet Coke down the front of my brand new ivory-colored blouse. No, no, please don't applaud, just throw cash.

The undergrad is probably hoping to get hired on the smartypants ticket. I'd interview him/her and find out if it is merely a ruse.

3/10/2006 6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home