3.27.2006

the icky shuffle

So I decided to steal brimful's idea: set my ipod to shuffle and write down the first line of the first 20 songs that come up, regardless of how lame and embarrassing the songs are. Which in my case is: very lame and embarrassing. Same rules - I excluded songs where the title is said in the first line, and multiple songs by the same artist. Of course, the lyrics to the first song that came up were both incomprehensible and un-Googleable, but I went with my best guesses:

1. I like you see me mention (?) you; your eyes and ticks (?) look pretty good

2. You think that we connect, that the chemistry's correct nice one, square peg

3. Ah, hey, hush that fuss gold star for Terence

4. Sometimes I shave my legs, and sometimes I don't well done, oodles

5. If you want to, then you've got to; let it show, it is waiting

6. Putting songs together ain't no puzzle like Yahtzee

7. She's been a long time on the phone, courting disaster in an undertone nice work, maitri

8. Have you ever met a girl that you tried to date Terence, you got the answer I need

9. Now every cheap hood strikes a bargain with the world, ends up making payments on a sofa or a girl but yes, maisnon

10. Here I go, here I go, here I go again: girls, what's my weakness? Men! suitablegirl got the title, while oodles correctly identified the condiments involved

11. Who do you think I am? Don't you know that he was my man? bien fait, andrea

12. The time has come mon fe Apache, fe find one girl and to get married nice work, Ashvin

13. Twister, oh, does anyone see through you? square peg's got the band, maisnon's got the title

14. We know of an ancient radiation that haunts dismembered constellations piece of Cake for brimful

15. It's the kind of place I've been looking for

16. We've been on the run, drivin' in the sun, lookin' out for number one [Thalassa's on the right track...]

17. Step off the train, all alone at dawn, back into the hole where I was born

18. This is the one you've been waiting for: hardcore, rhymes galore

19. I'm a hustler, baby; I just want you to know oodles and Terence with the tag-team effort

20. London, quieten down, I need to make a sound score another for brimful

So the rules for you: guess the songs, no Googling!

16 Comments:

Blogger oodles said...

Dude, you were a witness to the fact that I have "Baby Got Back" on my iPod. And, now I have admitted it to your readers!
4. Video- India.Arie
10. Whatta Man- Salt N Pepa
19. a JayZ song, and I don't know the title

3/27/2006 3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sh*t is hard!!!

14- Frank Sinatra by Cake

Oodles beat me to #10, and this makes me sad. :)

20- Bucky Done Gun by MIA!!!

3/27/2006 3:55 PM  
Blogger terence said...

#2 - Rosa Parks - Outkast
#8 - Just a friend - Biz Markie
#19 - oodles got it. the title is "I just want to love you"?

3/27/2006 4:56 PM  
Blogger ashvin said...

12 - Apache Indian ? "Arranged marriage" ?

It helps when they include their names in their lyrics :)

3/27/2006 5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job, guys!

Close but no cigar on #10. brimful, you could still win this one...

All the other guesses are correct.

oodles,
"Baby Got Back" is also on my ipod, so you'll be hearing no mockery from me.

3/27/2006 6:20 PM  
Blogger suitablegirl said...

since WHEN is it a bad thing to have mix-a-lot on your ipod? haters, please. p.s. wrt #10, i believe the salt 'n' pepa joint you're looking for is "shoop".

3/28/2006 11:22 AM  
Blogger square peg said...

Ooh..this is way more fun than transvaginal ultrasounds...

#2 No doubt - spiderwebs

#10 Salt n Pepa - Shoop

#13 Cranberries - Twister? Was that the name of the song?

3/28/2006 11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

suitablegirl,
You're correct on both counts - it is never a bad thing to have mix-a-lot on your ipod, and the correct answer is "Shoop."

square peg,
Good call on #2 and #10. Not quite right on the the correct title of #13, but I'm still impressed that you got The Cranberries, given that I neglected to transcribe all of Dolores O'Riordan's weird shrieky noises.

3/28/2006 12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

10 : shoop, salt n. pepa
11 : the boy is mine, brandy and monica

and i did those w/o lookin at other comments... too bad they were the only two i knew :(

3/28/2006 9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

11: if it's not that, it's Toni Braxton - he wasn't man enough

i'm not sure which

3/28/2006 9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

andrea,
Your second guess on #11 is correct!

3/29/2006 1:03 AM  
Blogger maisnon said...

13. "Ridiculous Thoughts" (off of No Need To Argue) - the Cranberries

9. "Death or Glory" - the Clash

3/29/2006 9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maisnon,
Exactement!

3/29/2006 2:09 PM  
Blogger Thalassa said...

#16 - California (here we come)

but i don't remember who sings it!

3/30/2006 1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

7. Aimee Mann - Build That Wall

3/30/2006 2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thalassa,
Nice work on the title; I suck at hints, but the band includes the dude from Rushmore and has sort of a comic-book-y sounding name, if that helps at all...

maitri,
Correctamundo!

3/30/2006 10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home