11.30.2005

a question of etiquette

Suppose you get in an elevator on the ground floor with one other person.  You press the "3" button, then your fellow passenger presses "4."  When the elevator reaches the third floor, you get out, noticing that the other person is also getting out.  Should you stop the person and remind him that you're on the third floor, or should you mind your own business and let him wander down the hall until he figures out that he's not actually on the fourth floor?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy the silence.

I'm all about personal responsibility. And material for later snark-sessions. :)

11/30/2005 6:13 PM  
Blogger suitablegirl said...

i quickly mention, "this is three!" or "didn't you want four?", probably b/c i'm usually the jackass who exits too early and needs such reminders. it's good to put that niceness out in the universe, for my future needs. ;)

12/01/2005 1:15 AM  
Blogger oodles said...

OK, this happened to me over the weekend, and I was happy that the guy in the elevator told me I was on the wrong floor. I sorta felt dumb, but whatever.

12/15/2005 10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so it looks like saying something beats saying nothing 2 to 1. (Thanks, guys!) My two worries were:

1.That I would make the person feel dumb, negating the fact that I saved them from the minor inconvenience of getting off on the wrong floor. But if I can generalize from oodles's comment, getting off on the right floor trumps sorta feeling dumb.

2. My other worry was that the person had just changed their mind and decided to get off on my floor. Thus my comment would provoke an unnecessary conversation about elevator choices that neither of us was particularly invested in. I guess this is also a fairly minor concern, so overall, the advantages of saying something probably outweigh the potential pitfalls.

I have now officially spent far too much time thinking about this.

12/15/2005 11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home